Monday 26 September 2016

Photo An Hour: Saturday 24th September

Each month Jane and Louisa arrange Photo An Hour, and most months I completely forget to take part. Not this time! Here's what I got up to on Saturday: check out the #photoanhour hashtag on Instagram and Twitter to see who else took part.
9am:
Missy has just woken me up by miaowing in my face, which is code - depending on the time - for either 'get up and feed me' or, as in this case, 'move - you're in my spot'. So I duly moved.
10am:
Every Photo An Hour day I have the same breakfast: sourdough toast with marmalade, and black tea. What can I say? I'm a creature of habit.
11am:
I started a bullet journal at the beginning of this month and so far I am really enjoying the process. I tend to use it for keeping a goals/to-do list - both daily and longer term - and a quick bullet point record of what I've done each day, which can mean anything from what I wore or read, to positive things that have happened, to what I've spent. To anyone considering starting a journal, I'd say: do it.
Midday:
Getting dressed to leave the house (finally) and despite it not being quite the weather for a t-shirt, I'm desperate to wear my new Fight Like A Grrrl shirt.
1pm:
Waiting for our train to Nottingham. I realise now that it looks like Thomas isn't wearing any bottoms, but I promise he has shorts on; they're even quite long so where they are in this photograph is beyond me!
2pm:
My joy knew no bounds at not only finding the previously-sold-out-in-my-size Cath Kinston books skirt, but discovering that Thomas had a few days left on his NUS card so I nabbed it with a discount, too.
3pm:
Street art in Nottingham.
4pm:
You know that terrible 50 Cent song that goes, "you can find me in the candy store..."? Well, I'm like that but replace 'candy store' with 'feminist section of the bookshop'.
5pm:
Laura had alerted me to the opening of a new pub in Nottingham, The Angel, which has a herbivore/carnivore menu - that is to say, for every meat/fish option, there's also a vegetarian and vegan option. So, basically, the perfect place for carnivore Janet and vegan Thomas to eat together. And obviously we needed to have a drink while we perused the menu...
Bonus photograph of our fish & chips. One of these is battered vegan tempeh and one is battered cod: both were very tasty.
6pm:
I know I'm biased, but I really do think Thomas is the cutest. And this is the face he pulls when I tell him so.
7pm:
Madly early for our train: standard.
8pm:
Just about to arrive back in Leicester (it's only a half hour journey, we were really early), and I'd got bored on the journey so cracked open one of Thomas's purchases, a zine about the radical history of brewing. It was more interesting that it sounds.
9pm:
Home, pyjamas on, candles lit and apple strudel in the oven. Doing Saturday night right.
10pm:
And it seems appropriate to end where I began: on a Missy photograph. She's only started sitting on the sofa next to us in the last few days, so this was an exciting and momentous occasion. Off-camera is Thomas, who'd been banished to the chair as she seems to like to sit right in the middle of the couch cushion, leaving only enough room for one of us next to her.

21 comments:

  1. Aww, Nottingham! I studied there but haven't been back since graduation. 11 years ago now... how did I get that old?!

    Looks like a nice day, and I LOVE the T-shirt :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only properly discovered Nottingham as a fun place to hang out in the past couple of years, which is ridiculous as I've lived 30 minutes away from it for almost 20 years!

      Delete
  2. I think I am in love with that books skirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not entirely my usual style but I HAD to have it, for obvious reasons

      Delete
  3. This looks like such a perfect Saturday, and that Cath skirt is fab. I keep seeing pretty printed skirts and promising I'll buy some material to make one but we've yet to unpack everything/find a home for my sewing machine so all potential projects are on hold for now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw I am glad Missy is getting braver.She reminds me of my cat Slinky very much.She is also quite shy but a complete Madam! The menu in the Angel looks interesting....and really great if your out with veggie vegan friends.Off out with some veggie mates ourselves in a couple of weeks but there will prob be like only 2 options on the menu in good old Clitheroe.We shall see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet one of the two options is mushroom risotto - poor veggies seem to get nothing but that on menus!

      Delete
  5. I love your journal! Have you read the Beth Ditto book that I spy on your book shelf? Wondering how it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's ace! It's very much recommend giving it a read.

      Delete
  6. I love nosing at these pictures and what everyone gets up to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, me too! It's the best bit about Photo An Hour.

      Delete
  7. I love looking through these photo an hour photos on insta but do i ever remember to take part? Nope. I love your day though and you guys are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I manage to remember about one in every five, and then only when I wake up, immediately check Instagram and think "oh crap, I need a photo!"

      Delete
  8. That looks like a great day. What was the brewing'zine? I ask as my husband has started a micro-brewery with a couple of friends so anything brewing related is of interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was this one - http://www.tangentbooks.co.uk/radical-brewing.html
      Very interesting reading, actually, and I say that as someone with zero interest in brewing!

      Delete
  9. This posts makes me wish we had more short day trip places nearby! It's odd how little stock they carry in Cath Kidston, or that's how it seems anyway whenever I go in. Book skirt sounds fab! Glad Missy is settling in! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely day! I think we'd be great friends. :) Your kitty is so sweet, and that food looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I did my PGCE in Nottingham and really liked living there. I love how cats don't care about others and just sit/lay where they bloody well want.

    ReplyDelete
  12. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH,the tempeh!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What was it like???? I am tempted just to go there for that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The naked Thomas photo did make me chuckle. And Missy is looking so at home <3

    ReplyDelete